Saturday, September 20, 2008

How White Am I?

Several months ago, I encouraged you to read the blog Stuff White People Like. Not only does it make me laugh every time that I read it, but it is often spot on. And it is often spot on about me. My hold on the book just came in and there are 150 things that white people like. As I'm reading (and laughing) I started to wonder, how white am I?

So, here we go! One point for each one that applies to me. I'll try to do it as I read the book. Play along, white people! It will be fun. Oh, and I still think you should read the book and blog. Tongue-in-cheek....it's very funny.

#1 Coffee
Um, yes. I love coffee. I do, however, own a Nespresso (owned by Nestle) and often buy from the Starbucks across the street from work. I'm pretty sure both of these things are despised by white people.

#2 Religions Their Parents Don't Belong To
I'm going to say no to this one, but I was lucky enough to be born into a desirable religion.

#3 Film Festivals
No and no. I have a big television at home and I don't like crowds.

#4 Assists
I think this is sports-related, so no.

#5 Farmer's Markets
Yes but the crowd issue often keeps me away. And the fact that all of Omaha's Farmer's Markets are on Saturday and I work. Damn you, Omaha!

#6 Organic Food
Yes.

#7 Diversity
Who doesn't love diversity? From the book, "White people love ethnic diversity, but only as it relates to restaurants." So true!

#8 Barack Obama
Yes. Although I'm sure he will disappoint me so I keep my expectations low.

#9 Making You Feel Bad for Not Going Outside
Yes! If it's beautiful, I always feel guilty for being inside, even if I don't feel like going out. Sorry to say, but I also judge people who don't go outside. I'm a horrible person.

#10 Wes Anderson Movies
Nope. I've only seen the Royal Tenenbaums and I thought it was kind of dumb. I think it tried too hard to be cool and edgy.

#11 Asian Girls
Not in the way they're talking about.

#12 Nonprofit Organizations
Of course. I've worked for them all my life. This is funny, "If a white person can stick around long enough, the nonprofit oganization can eventually become a lucrative position. This is because nonprofits retain their top executives by paying a salary competitive with similar positions in other industries. So you can be working at a nonprofit and still make six figures and you don't have accountability or pressure. White people can't lose!"

#13 Tea
It's ok. I prefer coffee and water. I guess that's a yes.

#14 Having Black Friends
Reminds me of Rent a Negro. I'm going to say no, because I don't really care about this.

#15 Yoga
Duh.

Ok, gotta go. Drama at the library. More later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you need to check out http://whitestuffpeoplelike.wordpress.com/

manya said...

Oh no, that's just an old link to the blog I linked to at the beginning of the blog post. Love it!

Anonymous said...

#522 stuff white people like:
Blogs.